Stellenbosch University 2 Postdoctoral Positions on Bioinformatics, Cape Town or Stellenbosch
The School for Data Science and Computational Thinking at Stellenbosch University is seeking to appoint two Bioinformaticians with great potential and ambition to become leading scientists. These two positions will work with some of the best pathogen and bioinformatics genomics program in the world, which is currently focused on the COVID-19 response. These full-time positions are offered for a period of up to three years.
As part of the team the fellows will get hands-on experience in the analysis of epidemiological, clinical and genomic data. They will be mentored by leading scientists and clinicians in the field. They will be associated with Prof. Tulio de Oliveira and Dr. Eduan Wilkinson, who commonly publish in some of the top biomedical journals (i.e. Science, Nature, Lancet and NEJM) and who have access to high-quality data from large clinic and population-based cohorts as part of collaborative clinical and epidemiological networks in South Africa and Africa.
Postdoctoral Fellows will be awarded a well-paid tax-free fellowship for up to 3 years. Once appointed, the successful candidates will be supported to apply for externally funded personal fellowships and grants. The positions are based at the state-of-the-art facilities in Stellenbosch main campus or at Tygerberg Medical School.
Host: Prof Tulio de Oliveira, School for Data Science and Computational Thinking, Stellenbosch University.
Minimum requirements for position I - Phylogenetics
• PhD in Biological Sciences, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Biostatistics or a related subject
• Experience in phylogenetic and phylodynamic analysis
• Experience in working with viral genomic data
• Statistical and programming skills in any of the common languages (e.g. R, Python, Java)
Minimum requirements for position II – Data Scientist/Programmer
• PhD in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Biostatistics or a related subject
• Experience in providing bioinformatics support
• Experience in working with high-throughput biological data
• Experience in analysis of one or more of the “omics” data types
• Programming skills in any of the common languages (e.g. R, Python, Java)
• Knowledge of database or web development
• Knowledge of Biostatistics
• Experience in working with clinical data
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Experience in collaborative teamwork
• Capacity to apply Bioinformatics across a broad range of application areas
Please note that postdoctoral fellows are not appointed as employees and their fellowships are awarded tax free. They are therefore not eligible for employee benefits.
Commencement of duties: as soon as possible
Closing date: 6 August 2021
Application process: Send a letter of application, accompanied by a comprehensive curriculum vitae, including list of publications, link to the candidate’s PhD thesis, a motivation letter that speaks to the specific requirements of the position and the names and contact details of two referees, to Prof Tulio de Oliveira, firstname.lastname@example.org and Ms Latashe Poole, email@example.com
News date: 2021-07-18